We invite all of you to join two actions that shows solidarity of legal community with detained Belarussian Colleagues:
1. Postcard for imprisoned Lawyers in Belarus
This project advocates for all Belarusian lawyers persecuted and imprisoned on political grounds. Its aim is to demonstrate our support and firmly oppose to violations of their professional and human rights. At the moment the project involves three Belarusian lawyers who were arrested due to their involvement in Belarusian democracy movement.
Who are they?
1. Mrs Liliya Vlasova, is an experienced lawyer and a well-known legal mediator. After presidential election she joined the presidium of the Belarusian Coordination Council.
2. Mr Maxim Znak, is an advocate and a Doctor of Law. After presidential election he joined the presidium of the Belarusian Coordination Council.
3. Mr Ilja Salej, is an advocate, who began his legal practice in 2019. Recently he represented Maria Kolesnikova (member of the presidium of the Belarusian Coordination Council).
How can we help?
There are many forms of delivering them help, however at this stage we would like to encourage you to send a postcard to one or more imprisoned Belarusian lawyers. One of the examples of the postcards can be a view of your city or symbols of your country to show geographically wide scope of solidarity.
– Text should be politically neutral;
– It is important to indicate the addressee’s full name on the postcard or envelope;
– If you would like to get a response from a prisoner, add a blank sheet of paper and a new envelope to your letter.
Below we present an example of the content of the postcard.
Dear Colleague, Dear Friend,
I express my support and solidarity with you. I respect your fight for human rights and for fundamental values of the legal profession. I am a lawyer from ……………… and our entire community is deeply concerned about the situation in Belarus. My thoughts are with you. You will not be forgotten!
With all my admiration and appreciation,
Nevertheless, please do not hesitate to write something from yourself, this is only an example of the postcard.
1. Liliya Vladimirovna Vlasova, 1 Pretrial isolation Centre, st. Volodarskogo 2, 220030 Minsk, Belarus
2. Maxim Alexandrovich Znak, 1 Pretrial isolation Centre, st. Volodarskogo 2, 220030 Minsk, Belarus
3. Ilja Wasiljewicz Salej, 1 Pretrial isolation Centre, st. Volodarskogo 2, 220030 Minsk, Belarus
1. Лилия Владимировна Власова, СИЗО 1, ул. Володарского, 2, 220030 Минск, Беларусь
2. Максим Аляксандравіч Знак, СИЗО 1, ул. Володарского, 2, 220030 Минск, Беларусь
3. Илия Васильевич Салей, СИЗО 1, ул. Володарского, 2, 220030 Минск, Беларусь
2. Solidarity banner on your website
You can find below banners (in four languages) that can be published on your website. We will be delighted if you encourage your Bar/Organization as well as individual colleagues to publish flyers on their websites as well.